CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – After record breaking high temperatures in the 70s on Wednesday, a wintry mix of weather is returning to western Massachusetts today.
Temperatures are starting mild this morning in the lower 40s and upper 30s, but gradually through the day temperatures will drop. As precipitation arrives and temperatures drop we’ll see a change from light rain to sleet and snow as the day progresses. Wintry weather will mostly be a problem for the afternoon into the early evening.
Plan on some slippery conditions this afternoon and into tonight.
Here’s what to expect:
- NOW-Noon: Precipitation slowly develops, rain/sleet and snow
- Noon-3PM: Rain/sleet/snow changes to sleet and snow
- 3PM-7PM: Mainly snow with some sleet.
- 7PM: Drying out
- Lower Pioneer Valley: Morning rain/sleet to sleet and snow this afternoon
- North and west of the lower Pioneer Valley: Mainly sleet and snow
- Coating to 2″ in the lower Pioneer Valley and areas south/east
- North and west of the lower Pioneer Valley: 1-3″
- HEAVIEST SLEET/SNOW: 2PM-6PM
- Accumulation will be heaviest on grassy or colder surfaces after our recent warmup
- Here’s our snow/sleet accumulation forecast.