(WWLP) – The TSA confiscated a record number of guns at airports over the last year.
According to the agency, 3,957 firearms were discovered in carry-on bags at checkpoints across the country in 2017. Of those, 84 percent were loaded.
The top 10 airports for firearm discoveries in 2017:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- Dallas/Fort Worth International
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport – Houston
- Denver International
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International
- Tampa International
- Orlando International Airport
- Dallas Love Field
- Nashville International
- Seattle–Tacoma International Airport
In addition to firearms, the TSA also confiscated several other hazardous and prohibited items including gun powder, a stun gun disguised as a tube of lipstick, a comb dagger, and knives.
If you have plans to fly this year, be sure to check the prohibited item list before you start packing. The TSA could impose up to $13,066 per violation per person for prohibited items violations and violations of other TSA regulations.