Shooting at University of Utah has prompted manhunt for suspect

International student killed

Austin Boutain Photo: Salt Lake City Police Department

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 Utah) – Hundreds of  law enforcement officers from multiple agencies converged onto the University of Utah campus after a shooting Monday night.

One person is confirmed dead. Early Tuesday morning officials identified the victim as ChenWei Guo. Guo was an international student at the university.

Letter from U of U President David W. Pershing


Suspect wanted for murder in Colorado

Around 9 p.m., the university community was immediately instructed to shelter in place.

A Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter launched to help university police search for the suspect identified as Austin Boutain, 24. They say he should be considered “armed and dangerous.”

During a press conference Tuesday morning police said Boutain is wanted in Golden Colorado for murder. They say it is believed the forest green pick-up he was seen driving was stolen in Colorado.

Police say Boutain’s wife has been taken into custody at the Salt Lake City County Jail on unrelated charges until authorities from Golden, Colorado can get to Utah. They identified her as Kathleen Boutain. ABC4 is working to collect details on the Colorado murder.

Here’s a rough timeline of events Monday night, according to police:

  • 8:15 p.m. University of Utah police responded to a call of a domestic violence assault. A woman showed up on the U campus and said she had been assaulted by her husband while they were camping up Red Butte Canyon.
  • Woman tells police her husband was up the canyon and possibly armed
  • Shortly after, police receive multiple reports of shots fired
  • Police say woman’s husband identified as Austin Boutain, 24, attempted to carjack an individual and shot and killed that person. The victim had no relation to the couple.
  • Police say Boutain fled the scene
  • Officers launched an extensive search of upper campus and the hills above Red Butte Canyon

The Shelter-in-place order was lifted for the entire campus just before 3 a.m. Classes are canceled for Tuesday, October 31, but facilities and services will remain open.

 Live video from the scene shows initial heavy police response: