EASTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – Four people are being assisted by the Red Cross, following a fire Monday morning in downtown Easthampton.
The Easthampton Fire Department posted on their official Facebook page that heavy fire was coming from the roof of the building at 39 Union Street before 5:30 Monday morning. Firefighters from Northampton, Southampton, South Hadley, Holyoke, and Westover Air Reserve Base were called in to help put out the flames.
There are three apartments on the building’s second floor, two of which were occupied. A total of four people were forced from their homes as a result of the fire.
No one was hurt. A state trooper assigned to the state fire marshal’s office determined that the fire was caused by smoking materials that were not disposed of properly.
Firefighters remained on Union Street until about 10:00 A.M. to make sure that there were no smoldering fires that could spread.