Eight left homeless after Springfield fire

Fire officials determined it was caused by food left cooking on the stove

Photo Courtesy: Joel Martinez

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Eight people are homeless Saturday after a fire broke out in a two story duplex in Springfield.

Springfield Fire Department Spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News, the fire forced the families out of their apartments at 21 Waterford Circle near the Eastfield Mall just before 1:30 p.m.

Before firefighters arrived, it already spread to the home next door.

The fire caused serious damage to both homes.

Fire officials determined it was caused by food left cooking on the stove.