Man who killed mother in N.H. hospital to be arraigned on first-degree murder charge

Police investigating at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center

A suspect in an active shooter incident at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center was pulled from a grey Ford Escape at the intersection of LaHaye Drive and Mount Support Road in Lebanon, N.H., on Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017. The Lebanon Department of Public Safety confirmed that someone was taken into custody shortly before 3 p.m. following reports of an active shooter at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. (Jennifer Hauck/The Valley News via AP)

LEBANON, N.H. (AP) — A Rhode Island man who was been arrested for shooting and killing his 70-year-old mother in the intensive care unit of a New Hampshire hospital will be arraigned on first-degree murder charges today.

Authorities said Travis Frink, 49, of Warwick, Rhode Island, is expected to be in Grafton Superior Court today for the arraignment. The shooting happened just before 1:30 p.m. at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.

Attorney General Gordon MacDonald identified the victim as Frink’s mother, Pamela Ferriere, of Groton, New Hampshire.

MacDonald said Frink signed into the medical center’s visitor center just after 1 p.m. and went to the intensive care unit. Soon after, Lebanon police received a call at 1:24 p.m. of shots fired in in the intensive care unit

“The facts gathered to this point reveal that the purpose of Mr. Frink’s visit to the hospital today was to kill his mother,” MacDonald told reporters, adding that the crime scene was still be investigated and that more than one shot had been fired. “No other patients, visitors or staff were physical injured as a result of the incident today.”

Frink was detained as he tried to leave the grounds of Dartmouth-Hitchcock. No possible motive for the shooting was released.

Rhode Island State Police said the suspect’s car had Rhode Island plates so police in New Hampshire reached out to the state’s Fusion Center, an information center under the command of the state police that also involves representatives from local, state and federal agencies.

The center helped identify the suspect as a Rhode Island resident, said Laura Meade Kirk, a state police spokeswoman.

John Kacavas, the medical center’s chief legal officer, thanked police and the attorney general’s office for their response to a “tragic situation.”

People were told to avoid the area around the hospital, and traffic was stopped on a route leading to the medical center.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Vermont State Police assisted New Hampshire and local police.

WCAX-TV reported that an employee said all workers received an email from the hospital about a “code silver,” telling them to get out if possible and otherwise to shelter in place. “Code silver” indicates that a violent situation is unfolding.

The state attorney general’s office is investigating.


This story has been corrected to show the suspect’s last name as Frink, not Frank.


Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is New Hampshire’s largest hospital, and is located in the west-central portion of the state.

Stay with 22News and for the latest information, as it becomes available.