DAVIE, Fla. (WFLA) – A Florida man fell to his death while putting up shutters in preparation for Hurricane Irma, marking the state’s first storm-related death ahead of Irma’s approach.
According to police, a 57-year-old man was hired to install shutters at a home in Davie.
He had tried to place a sheet of metal on a second-story window when he lost his balance and fell from a ladder at a height of about 15 feet, then hit his head on a pool deck.
He was taken to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
At least 25 people have died as Irma continues its destructive path toward the Bay area. The storm intensified and became a Category 4 hurricane early Sunday morning.
Copyright 2017 WFLA
HURRICANE IRMA COVERAGE –
- The latest on Hurricane Irma from Storm Team 8
- 2017 Hurricane Guide
- Emergency shelters opening across Tampa Bay area ahead of Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Irma: Check your evacuation level here
- Hurricane Irma causing flight cancellations, airport closures in Tampa Bay area, Florida
- CHECKLIST: Disaster supply list for hurricane
- Where to get sandbags in the Tampa Bay area
- How to get water even if the stores are out
- The one thing you must do for your pet as Irma approaches