TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – The center of Category 4 Hurricane Irma has made landfall at Cudjoe Key in the lower Florida Keys and is now headed for the southwest Florida coast.
The center of the hurricane made landfall in the Keys at 9:10 a.m. As of the 11 a.m. National Hurricane Center advisory, the storm is is 80 miles from Naples and about 115 miles from Fort Myers.
“With Irma’s landfall in Cudjoe Key, it’s the first Category 4 hurricane to strike Florida since Charley in 2004. It’s also the first time back-to-back Category 4 hurricanes have made landfall. The back-to-back hurricanes are Harvey and Irma,” said Storm Team 8 Meteorologist Leigh Spann.
Hurricane Irma could possibly make landfall again as a Category 4 storm in the Manatee, Sarasota, or Fort Myers areas around 10 to midnight on Sunday.
“The Sarasota area could begin feeling tropical storm force winds in the next few hours. Tropical storm winds start at 39 mph. By the afternoon, wind speeds will increase to hurricane force. As the storm moves north, the strong winds will arrive in places farther north as well,” said Spann.
The monster storm could then move into Pinellas and Hillsborough counties as a strong Category 3 hurricane.
Irma strengthened in the Florida Straits early Sunday morning and became a Category 4 storm again.
Tropical force winds are felt 220 miles away from the center of the storm.
“Because the tropical storm force winds extend 220 miles from the center of the storm, the entire Tampa Bay area should feel at least 39 mph winds by midday today. Winds reach hurricane strength later this evening and overnight,” said Spann.
“Thankfully, once it gets going, it’s fast moving. There will be flooding, but it will not be an extended flooding,” said Spann of the impact on the Tampa Bay area.
HURRICANE IRMA COVERAGE –
- More than 50 animals found tethered to trees in Florida
- Live coverage of Hurricane Irma
- VIDEO: Webcams show Hurricane Irma in real time
- The latest on Hurricane Irma from Storm Team 8
- 2017 Hurricane Guide
- Emergency shelters opening across Tampa Bay area ahead of Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Irma: Check your evacuation level here
- Hurricane Irma causing flight cancellations, airport closures in Tampa Bay area, Florida
- CHECKLIST: Disaster supply list for hurricane
- Where to get sandbags in the Tampa Bay area
- How to get water even if the stores are out
- The one thing you must do for your pet as Irma approaches
Copyright 2017 WFLA