Fan causes Friday morning home fire in Westfield

Three fire engines, a ladder truck, an ambulance, were on scene

WESTFIELD, Mass. (The Westfield News) – The Westfield Fire Department responded to a fire on Holyoke Road just before 8 a.m. on Friday morning. According to Deputy Chief Mark Devine, the fire resulted from the motor of a bathroom ceiling exhaust fan overheating and catching fire.

Three fire engines, a ladder truck, an ambulance, and Deputy Chief Devine were on scene and were able to put the fire out in 15 minutes by using a dry chemical extinguisher. Another 15 minutes was spent for inspection purposes, making sure the fire didn’t spread to anywhere else inside or outside of the residence.

“Basically the fire was contained within the bathroom ceiling,” said Devine.

Smoke detectors are what alerted the three people inside the home when the fire occurred. Devine estimated that about $5,000 worth of damage was done to the property.

Copyright 2017 The Westfield News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s