(WWLP) – The widespread severe thunderstorm weather issued for western Massachusetts is canceled.
The National Weather Service issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin, and Berkshire Counties until 8:00 P.M. due to the potential for widespread strong or severe storms Monday afternoon and evening.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning is in effect for Berkshire County, meaning that severe weather is imminent or already happening. If you live within the warning area, you should seek shelter indoors on the lowest floor possible, and away from windows.
Meanwhile, there is a Flash Flood Watch in effect for all of western Massachusetts beginning at noon, and ending at 4:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Monday has been declared a 22News Storm Team Severe Weather Alert Day due to the threat of strong or severe thunderstorms through the evening and into the nighttime hours.
- Through 9 p.m.: Scattered to widespread storms and downpours. Strong or severe possible. Greatest threat for flash flooding.
- 9 p.m.- 4 a.m.: Rain tapers to showers. Severe weather not expected, but flash flooding possible.
- Damaging Winds
- Flash Flooding
- Tornado Threat (Very Low)
Impacts and Safety Precautions:
- Wind damage could cause tree damage and power outages
- Flash flooding could lead to road closures, especially in underpasses. Remember, if you see a flooded street “turn around, don’t drown”
- Lighting is dangerous, if you hear thunder, head indoors.
Keep in mind that a Severe Thunderstorm Watch means that there is the potential for widespread severe thunderstorms in a given area. It is different from a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, which means that a severe thunderstorm is imminent or already happening.
Similarly, a Flash Flood Watch means that there is the potential for flash flooding in a given area, while a Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is taking place.
Be sure to stay with 22News and WWLP.com throughout the day, as the 22News Storm Team tracks this potentially hazardous weather.
|– Local Forecast||– Severe WX Text Alerts|
|– Temperatures||– Severe WX Email Alerts|
|– Weather News||– WWLP 22News WX App|
|– Interactive Radar||– Live Area Webcams|