WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Two women died in Westfield in a fire that severely damaged their home Saturday afternoon.
The Westfield Fire Department received a call from a neighbor around 3 P.M. Saturday, saying their neighbor’s house at 40 Park Street was on fire. When crews arrived, they quickly sprang into action, trying to put out the flames of a kitchen fire.
Deputy Chief Patrick Egloff told 22News, when firefighters got to the house at 40 Park Street in Westfield Saturday, there were no working smoke detectors sounding in the home. He said they also had a difficult time gaining entry into the home, due to a large amount of possessions.
He said two fire hydrants had issues with water pressure and volume, but that did not prevent them from extinguishing the fire. He said they used engine trucks with 750-gallons of water to get the fire under control, and were able to do so within 30 minutes. The hydrants only became an issue when they had to use the hydrants to resupply their trucks. DPW director David Billips later told 22News the hydrants were working, but had low water pressure, because of old water mains.
State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey told 22News, “One person was taken to Baystate Noble hospital where they were pronounced dead. The second occupant was located in the building and was also deceased.”
The Westfield Fire Department received mutual assistance from Holyoke, West Springfield, and Barnes Air National Guard Base.
Deputy Chief Eric Bishop told 22News that firefighters went above and beyond at this fire, but were unable to save the two victims. Residents are now giving their condolences to the family.
Louie Faldon of Westfield said, “I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for you. Our prayers will be with you.”
Kelvin Gonzales of Springfield said, “People lose people every day. The ones you care about. So it’s tragic for the family. I’m sorry for your loss.”
The State Fire Marshal’s office is looking into this fire and what caused it. The identities of the two victims have not been released.
- Westfield residents shocked and saddened over deadly house fire
- Victims of deadly Westfield house fire identified
- Red Cross aiding Westfield residents with free smoke detectors
- No working smoke detectors in deadly Westfield house fire
- Concerns have arisen over water pressure in Westfield
- Small pipe lines in Westfield made it difficult to stop deadly fire
- Hoarding experts speak following deadly fire in cluttered Westfield home
- Hoarding prevented Westfield firefighters from helping fire victims