Overloaded power strip blamed in Provincetown fire

Fire destroyed two restaurants near McMillan Wharf

PROVINCETOWN, Mass. (AP) — Fire officials say an overloaded power strip likely caused the Massachusetts fire that ripped through the roof of a restaurant and spread to neighboring structures.

The fire started Saturday evening at the Red Shack Restaurant in Provincetown where an extension cord was plugged into a power strip. The fire quickly spread to Tatiana’s Foot Long Hot Dogs and Surf Club Restaurant.

Fire departments from across Cape Cod responded to the blaze. Officials say one firefighter suffered minor injuries.

In a joint statement, the state fire marshal and Provincetown fire chief estimate about $1 million in damages. Both the Red Shack and Tatiana’s were destroyed.

Restaurant owners say at least three dozen people are out of work.

 

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s