Apartment building evacuated in Springfield for smell of gas

Unlit burner on stove caused odor

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Springfield Fire department ordered the evacuation of a downtown high-rise apartment building Friday morning, due to the smell of natural gas.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner told 22News that they evacuated residents from the Chestnut Towers apartments at 10 Chestnut Street due to the odor.

Leger said that it was determined that the problem was caused by an unlit burner that was running on the stove of a ninth story apartment.

About half an hour later, the evacuation was lifted and everyone was allowed to return to their apartments.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s