Chicopee Comp. evacuated after fire on school grounds

People were ordered out of the school auditorium

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Chicopee Comprehensive High School was evacuated Thursday night, after a tractor caught on fire right next to the building.

Chicopee Fire Department dispatcher Justin Clark told 22News that no one was hurt after smoke from the burning tractor went into the building, and everyone attending a concert inside was ordered out.

Firefighters ran hoses into the building as a precaution and used fans to suck the smoke out of Chicopee Comp.

The fire was reported around 7:30 p.m. Thursday, and was out before 8:00 p.m.  Dispatcher Clark said everyone who had been ordered out of the building was allowed back in to retrieve their belongings.

22News shot video of a ladder leaning up against the building, and fire hoses that had been run through a doorway into the building’s interior. Chicopee Comp. is located at 617 Montgomery Street.

A fire investigator has been called in to find out why the tractor caught fire.