CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – During times of celebration spirits soar, and so do foil Mylar balloons during backyard parties.
It’s those Mylar balloons coming in contact with power lines that concerns Eversource about a power outage or danger to people nearby.
The power company warned that the silver metallic coating on Mylar balloons is a conductor of electricity.
The biggest issue facing the party host and his or her guests, is that the balloons just don’t float away when they’re released near power lines.
Eversource released the following safety tips:
- Make sure balloons are secured and can’t fly away
- Never release a Mylar balloon outside
- Keep all balloons away from power lines
- Never use metallic ribbon with Mylar balloons
- Never tie Mylar balloons to yourself or a child
- Always deflate Mylar balloons completely and dispose of them properly
- Never attempt to retrieve a balloon that is tangled in electric lines; instead, call Eversource at 1-877-659-6326 to report the problem.