WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Melha Shrine Circus is back for a four-day run in the Town of West Springfield.
It’s called the “Circus with a Purpose” because it supports the many activities of the Shriners, including the Shriners Hospital for Children in Springfield.
Last year the Shrine Circus put on a show with no animals, and for the first time in its history, lost money. This year they brought the animals back and attracted a protest by animal rights activists.
The circus will run thru May 7th at the Coliseum on the Eastern States Exposition grounds.
- The Melha Shrine Circus is returning to Western Mass.
- Shrine Circus elephants enjoy pampering before start of show
- Bill would bar elephant acts from traveling circuses
- Animal acts back in the ring for Melha Shrine Circus
- Circus lionized for cutting animal acts will bring them back