LONDON (AP) – Buckingham Palace has announced that Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, will stop carrying out public engagements sometime between now and August.
The palace said Thursday that the 95-year-old Philip will continue heading numerous charitable organizations but will not play an active role attending engagements.
In the past Philip has suffered heart problems but has maintained a vigorous public schedule.
A statement released by Buckingham Palace in part says “Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen.”
The statement also says he has full support from Queen Elizabeth II.
Buckingham Palace says Queen Elizabeth II will continue to carry out a full program of public engagements.