CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – It’s a twist on traditional Asian food! Mike Harrison, Head Chef at Seasons Restaurant at Buckley Healthcare Center, showed us how to make sushi rice, seared tuna, and Brussels sprouts with bacon and cashews.
2 cups uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
3 cups water
½ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1. Rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear. Combine with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Rice should be tender and water should be absorbed. Cool until cool enough to handle.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar & salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir into the cooked rice. When you pour this into the rice it will seem very wet. Keep stirring and the rice will dry up as it cools.
2 (5 ounce) ahi tuna steaks
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1. Season tuna steaks with salt & cayenne pepper.
2. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the peppercorns in the mixture until they soften and pop, about 5 minutes. Gently place the seasoned tuna in the skillet and cook to desired doneness, 1 ½ minutes per side for rare.
Bacon and Cashew Brussels Sprouts
2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed & cut in half
8 slices smoked bacon, cut in small pieces
¼ cup butter
4 cloves minced garlic
1 cup toasted cashews
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1. Boil sprouts in salted water for 5 minutes before dropping them directly into bowl of ice water to stop the cooking action.
2. In a large sauté pan cook the bacon until crisp. Drain all the bacon fat away and add butter & garlic. Cook only to soften the garlic, do not brown it.
3. Toss the spouts back into the pan with the garlic butter, bacon and add cashews, lemon juice & pepper. Toss them together over high heat for only a minute or two until the sprouts are warmed through. Serve immediately.