Drone catches fire in Massachusetts home

Investigators are working to determine what caused the battery to explode

(CNN) – A Massachusetts man said his drone caught fire while charging in his basement. Now he’s warning others to be careful.

Paul Lacesse, the drone owner, said, “The pool table was sitting here, drone on top with batteries beside it, one of batteries blew up and blew everything off the table, which started the fire. Everyone was in bed.  We had plugged the batteries into charge for the next day.”

The smoke alarm went off alerting everyone to the upstairs fire in the rec room. Lacesse said, “The front of the room was totally engulfed in flames, the room was already full of smoke.”

They made a frantic call to 911, but the family acted quickly and extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived. Lacesse said, “Broke a little grate, but no blast damage, no structural damage, we were very lucky.”

A tough lesson learned, but Paul Lacesse is thankful the outcome wasn’t worse, “A lot of times we plugged them in, left the house, sometimes overnight and that won’t happen again. You just can’t be careful enough with them.”

Investigators are working to determine what caused the battery to explode.