CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Crack sealing will be taking place on several major roadways in Chicopee this construction season.
The City Council voted to approve Mayor Richard Kos’s request for a $40,000 appropriation for road sealing. That $40,000 comes from Chapter 90 money; state tax dollars allotted to cities and towns for local road and bridge repairs.
In a news release sent to 22News, DPW Superintendent Jeffrey Neece said small to medium-sized cracks in the roadway are filled in an effort to prevent potholes and other damage. “It prevents water from entering any cracks and allowing for the freeze-thaw cycle to damage the roads,” Neece said.
The following stretches of road will undergo sealing work:
- Britton Street- Entire length
- East Main Street- Belcher St. to Crestwood St.
- Fairview Avenue- Intersection of Fairview Ave. and Springfield St.
- Grattan Street- Granby Rd. to Providence St.
- James Street- Montcalm St. to Old James St.
- McKinstry Avenue- Boylston St. to Grattan St.
- Prospect Street- Ingham St. to Montcalm St.
- Shawinigan Drive- American Legion Bridge to Ludlow town line
- St. James Avenue- Entire length
- Westover Road- Memorial Drive to Padgette St.
Mayor Kos said that doing this sealing work adds years to the life of roadways.