NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – Firefighters from Northampton and several surrounding communities worked Tuesday morning to control a fire in a multi-family home downtown.
Northampton Deputy Fire Chief Stephen Vanasse told 22News that the smoke detectors inside the home at 46-50 Graves Avenue helped alert the residents and their neighbors of the fire, and firefighters were quickly contacted.
Firefighters got to the home at around 8:45 A.M., and there were heavy flames coming from the home’s third-story porch, and smoke could be seen from blocks away.
A portion of nearby Market Street was closed for more than an hour as firefighters worked to put out the flames.
No one was hurt, and the fire was under control in about an hour.
According to a posting on the Northampton Fire Department’s official Facebook page, the fire is believed to have been caused by smoking materials not being disposed-of properly. The department says that the building should be repairable, with the damage confined to the porch and a little more than a single room on the third floor.
Vanasse said that it was important that the home had working smoke detectors, which kept residents safe, and helped alert everyone to the presence of the fire.