Southwick home destroyed by fire; 2 pets killed

Flames were coming from the roof of the house

Photo submitted through reportit@wwlp.com

SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) – A home in Southwick went up in flames Tuesday night despite a frantic effort by firefighters.

Southwick Police Officer Thomas Krutka told 22News the fire started in the basement and spread to the rest of the one story home at 80 Fred Jackson Road.

Firefighters from Connecticut and Massachusetts worked for almost 90 minutes to get the fire under control. A viewer sent 22News photos of the fire, which showed flames coming from the roof of the house and heavy smoke.

There are no hydrants in west Southwick, making it difficult for the firefighters to control the flames. The house was gutted and a family of three is now homeless.

Officer Krutka said an officer tried to save a puppy and a kitten from the house, but they were driven back by the smoke and flames.

Fire Chief Russ Anderson told 22News that one of the residents of the home received medical treatment after breathing in too much smoke.

He said that the fire was determined to have been caused by an electrical fault in the air conditioning system.

Firefighters from Agawam, Russell, and Barnes Air National Guard Base helped Southwick firefighters put out the flames, as did three departments from neighboring Connecticut: Suffield, East Granby, and East Hartland.

Click Here if you’re unable to view the map above.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s