(WWLP) – National Grid has a reminder for those of you planning to work on outdoor projects: call before you dig!
National Grid is reminding everyone this “Dig Safely Month” to call Dig Safe by dialing 811 before starting any digging or excavation project.It is required by law to call the Dig Safe line before beginning any digging, drilling, or blasting.
In a release sent to 22News, National Grid said calling Dig Safe helps prevent serious injuries, property damage, and service interruptions caused by accidentally digging into electric, gas, telephone, water, or sewer lines.
How DigSafe Works
- If your outdoor project involves any type of digging, call DigSafe at 811.
- Be prepared to answer questions such as the type of work being done, the distance the work will be done from the street, and who will be doing the work. Click here for all the information you’ll be asked to provide.
- You’ll be given a ticket number and a representative will inform you that participating utility companies will come and mark their lines with paint within the next 72 hours.
- You must wait the full 72 hours before beginning any work.
- The work must start within 30 days, and work must be done around all marked lines