3 homeless after fire on Union St. in Springfield

Image Courtesy: Springfield Fire Department

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Red Cross is helping three people who were forced from their apartments after a fire in Springfield’s Old Hill neighborhood Wednesday afternoon.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that they are investigating what led to the fire at 537-539 Union Street. The fire destroyed two apartments on the second floor of the building.

The Pioneer Valley Chapter of the Red Cross is working to help the residents of those apartments.

Appreneada Hibbert of Springfield told 22News she was at Tasty’s Restaurant, which is on the first floor, when she learned of the fire. She said, “Yes, it was very scary because we were there in a conversation and we smelled gas. One of the chefs told them to turn the gas down because we thought it was in the restaurant, but it actually wasn’t, it was coming from upstairs.”

No injuries were reported in the fire.

Click here to view the map on your mobile device.