For 2nd time, Springfield firefighters called to put out fire on Worcester St.

Another fire happened at 1186 Worcester Street overnight

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – For the second time in less than 24 hours, firefighters were called to put out a fire at the same home on Worcester Street in the Indian Orchard section of Springfield.

Dennis Leger, executive aide to the fire commissioner, told 22News the one person living in the basement of the home was able to get out safely. The American Red Cross is now assisting him in finding somewhere to stay. He said the fire caused $100,000 in damage.

Springfield Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant told 22News that firefighters had worked to put out a fire at 1186 Worcester Street overnight.

Conant said that fire investigators had made sure that the first fire had been extinguished before they left.

Leger said that first fire was caused by an electrical problem in the ceiling above a second-floor bedroom. Two residents were forced from the home as a result.

Conant said that at this point, it is not clear what caused this second fire, though it is believed to have started in the attic.

He noted that the extremely cold temperatures made the fire difficult to fight. Water from the hoses that had run off into the street had been freezing, and firefighters had to put down salt to prevent them from slipping.