Andrew Street fire caused by potted plant used as ashtray

Two people were able to get out safely, and a dog was later rescued by firefighters

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Three people were left homeless after an early morning fire on Andrew Street.

Mayor Sarno issues statement on Sunday fires

The two people home at the time of the fire at 123 Andrew Street got out safely after the fire broke out around 5:00am Sunday morning. Firefighters rescued a dog from inside the home, and no one was injured in the fire.

Some residents said they were shocked to see the damage Sunday morning. Keausha Scott said “I would be ready to just go crazy if my house burned down right now. It’s like the coldest time of the year right now. I feel terrible for them”.

Springfield Fire Spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News the fire started on the front porch, in potted plant container that some people used as an ashtray. When our 22News crew arrived, flames were coming through the roof of the building.

With numerous fires starting in Springfield over night, the Springfield fire commissioner said they had to call in assistance from towns including Chicopee and West Springfield in order to fight all of them.

The Andrew Street fire forced the residents from their home in frigid temperatures Sunday morning. The fire commissioner said the weather made fighting the fire more challenging.

Commissioner Joseph Conant said “It’s tough on a cold night like tonight. The lines freeze up, the roads and the sidewalks get really icy, so it’s more dangerous on a night like this”.

The fire commissioner said no one was injured fighting the fire. Crews salted the areas surrounding 123 Andrew Street that were still slick from the water used to fight the fire.

This was the 4th fire in the Mason Square neighborhood Sunday morning.