Chicopee fire that left 13 homeless caused by faulty electrical

Chicopee Street wasn't reopened until about 2:30am Saturday morning

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Chicopee Deputy Fire Chief Matthew Cross told 22News the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

Deputy Cross also said the fire started in an apartment on the third floor of the multi-family home at 571 Chicopee Street in the Willimansett section of the city.

The fire that left 13 people homeless started around 10:00pm Friday, but the street wasn’t reopened until about 2:30am Saturday morning. No one was hurt.

The western Massachusetts Red Cross emergency disaster team is helping the families who can’t stay with relatives.