SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Residents of Springfield, Agawam, Ludlow, Longmeadow, and East Longmeadow may have notice a slight chlorine taste or smell in their drinking water on Friday.
There was a change to the disinfection process at the West Parish Filters Water Treatment Plant, which is run by the Springfield Water and Sewer Commission.
Jaime Luna of Chicopee said, “there’s nothing like drinking pool water.” She continued, “You don’t have to worry about holding your nose, just to down a bottle of water. I don’t think you should have to taste your water or smell it.”
Commission Spokesperson Joyce Mulvaney told 22News that the chlorine levels in the drinking water are still well below the maximum limits set by the EPA and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
Chlorine is used to disinfect drinking water to kill disease-causing bacteria and viruses.
“It’s always a concern what’s in the water. It’s always a concern when you have kids. You want to make sure that nothing is harmful to them and ourselves as well. You trust that they’re doing the right thing,” said David Hosme of West Springfield.
Mulvaney said that if you are sensitive to the change, there are a couple of things you can do to eliminate the taste or smell:
- Put a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator- the chlorine will dissipate over several hours
- Use a carbon filter, either in a pitcher or attached to your faucet, in order to reduce the chlorine taste.