Man killed in stabbing at Connecticut Big Y was sushi counter worker

Jing-Song Gao died as a result of his wounds, Tan Lin is in critical condition


OLD LYME, Conn. (WTNH) – Police have identified the two men involved in the fatal stabbing at the Big Y in Old Lyme Sunday.

State police say at around 2:15 p.m., troopers responded to the Big Y store at 90 Halls Road for the report a stabbing with serious injuries.

Upon arrival, troopers located the two male victims identified as 34-year-old Jing-Song Gao, of Massachusetts, and 40-year-old Tan Lin, of Old Lyme. Troopers say they then secured the scene and rendered first aid.

Related: 1 dead, 1 seriously injured in stabbing at Big Y in Old Lyme

Gao, who worked for the sushi vendor, was taken to Shoreline Medical Center in Westbrook where he was pronounced dead. Lin was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital via Life Star where he is being treated for serious injuries.

A note on the door at Lin’s Old Lyme home says the family had no comment and asked that their privacy be respected.

Troopers were able to quickly determine that there was no further threat to the store patrons. Police say the stabbing was not a random act and that the two victims were familiar with each other.

“One of the things they’re looking at was who was the aggressor,” says State Police spokesperson Trooper Kelly Grant.

Investigators haven’t talked to Lin yet but have talked to several witnesses to try to piece together who started this fight.

“It probably happened so fast and it was such a shock maybe the witnesses didn’t see exactly what happened,” says Trooper Grant.

News8 has learned Lin may have also worked for the Sushi vendor at one time.

Big Y Foods, Inc. issued a statement saying “Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in this tragic incident…” It went on to explain the two people worked for an outside vendor. “Currently, we have additional support assisting all of our employees from this location.”

“We were shocked like anybody else would be,” says Phil Parcak of Old Lyme. “It’s a quiet town and it was pretty sad.”

He and his wife Cindy were traveling back from Florida when they heard about the attack.

“This is a small town,” says Cindy Parcak. “Things like that rarely happen here which is wonderful but it’s just sad and hard to see or hear about things like this.”