CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – How much should you tip for a drink or a great hairdresser? Certified Etiquette Expert Karen Thomas, from CTetiquette.com gave us a guide.
- Waiter/waitress: 15% of bill (excl. tax) for adequate service; 20% for very good service; no less than 10% for poor service
- Headwaiter/captain: often gets a cut of table server’s tip; so tip your server extra to reward captain, or tip captain separately
- Sommelier, or wine steward: 15% of cost of the bottle
- Bartender: 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink
- Coatroom attendant: $1 per coat
- Parking valet or garage attendant: $2 to bring your car to you
- Washroom attendant: 50 cents to $1
- Food delivery person:* 10% of the bill (excl. tax), at least $1 for bills up to $10. Should tip 15%-20% for a difficult delivery.
- Grocery loader: Check with store policy if tips are accepted. If so, $1 for bringing bags to car; $1.50 to $3 if you have more than 3 bags.
- Barber: 15% to 20%, minimum $1, for a haircut. For other services (shampoo, shave or manicure) tip $1 to $2 to service provider.
- Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is now acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)
- Shampoo person: $2
- Manicurist: 15%
- Spa service (e.g., massage): 15% to 20%. If service is provided by owner, no tip.
- Staff at coffee/food retailers with tip jars: No tip required. It’s completely optional.
Traditional displays of gratitude:
- A simple verbal thank you
- A written note for a gift, help, sharing time, hospitality, and invitations
- Telephone call or e- mail
- Simple gift
- Gift of time: babysitting, car wash
Thank you notes:
- They should be hand written within 24 hours.
- 3-5 sentences are fine.
- Don’t begin: Thank you for the gift. Start with some news, how much you enjoyed the gift etc.
- Mention the gift by name, how you will spend the money or how the gift will be used.
- A telephone invitation can be answered with a telephone thank you.
- A written invitation requires a written thank you note.