CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Satisfy your sweet tooth with some a delicious dessert! Eslie McDermott is a Pastry Chef and she showed us how to make a Chocolate Truffle Tart.
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE TART
- 12 oz. softened butter
- 12 oz. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 12 oz. cocoa powder
- 10 oz. all-purpose flour
- 2.5 oz. water
- 20 oz. heavy cream
- 18 oz. good quality chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 oz. liquor of choice
- 4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 3 1/2 oz. chocolate pieces
- 2 tsp. corn syrup
- 2 tbsp. water
DIRECTIONS FOR CRUST:
- cream the butter and sugar together in standing mixer until well incorporated; add the eggs one at a time.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the butter mixture, alternating with water (dough will be soft, add more water or or flour if needed to make handling more manageable).
- Press into tart pan of choice and work with fingers to create an even surface of dough (you do not need to roll this dough out).
- Chill while making the filling.
DIRECTIONS FOR FILLING:
- Make ganache by scalding heavy cream and pouring over chocolate; gently combine with whisk.
- Add remaining ingredients in order and whisk to combine (mixture will be ver liquid).
- Place tart shell in pan on a cookie sheet for stability and pour filling into crust 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes depending on the heat and type of oven you have. You will know the tart is set when it is puffed up and slightly cracked on top.
DIRECTIONS FOR GLAZE:
- Remove tart from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While tart is cooling make ganache for glaze by scalding heaving cream and combining it with the chocolate pieces. If the chocolate mixture does not melt entirely together it can be microwaved slightly for 30 seconds.
- Add syrup and water to make a thin sauce and pour over the tart, being careful to avoid the crust edges.
- Smooth out to cover the entire surface; chill completely before removing from tart pan and serving.
NOTES: I serve this tart with whipped cream (2 cups heavy cream whipped with 1 cup confectioners sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla extract), however you can really do anything you want with it for garnish.