Springfield Police: Break-in suspect tried to take officer’s stun gun

Saint Johnson facing multiple charges; Maria Rivera charged with receiving stolen property

Saint Johnson and Maria Rivera face charges in connection with a December 6 break-in at Extreme Appliance on Mill Street in Springfield. Image Courtesy: Springfield Police Department

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield police say that they had to use a stun gun to subdue a business break-in suspect who attacked them.

According to Springfield Police Sgt. John Delaney, Saint Johnson, 35, of Springfield, and Maria Rivera, 52, were both arrested in connection with a theft from Extreme Appliance on Mill Street late Tuesday night. Johnson faces several additional charges after a confrontation with police.

December Mug Shots

Delaney says that police were called to the store at about 11:30 P.M., where the owner told them that someone had kicked in a back door and stole a laptop, right after he closed up shop for the night. A witness gave police a description of two suspects- a man with a “bulky coat” and a light-skinned woman with pink pants.

Police searched the area for the suspects, and saw Johnson and Rivera on Fort Pleasant Avenue. Delaney says that Rivera was carrying the stolen laptop, which was poking out of her shirt. Johnson, however, entered the hallway of an apartment building, and when officers went to get him, he allegedly attacked the officers in an effort to get away.

Delaney says that he continued to fight the officers as they tried to bring him under custody, at one point trying to take an officer’s stun gun. The police used the stun gun to get Johnson under control, and he was placed under arrest.

Rivera is charged with receiving stolen property, while Johnson faces multiple charges, including breaking and entering in the nighttime, larceny over $250, resisting arrest, attempt to disarm police, and giving a false name to a police officer. He also had a default warrant for armed robbery while masked.

Both Johnson and Rivera were arraigned Wednesday in Springfield District Court.