Cooking fire caused evacuation of Springfield condo complex

Smoke and water damage to one unit at Kimball Towers

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Residents of a downtown Springfield condominium complex were evacuated due to a fire late Wednesday morning.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that food on the stove led to the fire at the Kimball Towers Condominiums at 140 Chestnut Street.

Leger said that there was minor smoke and water damage to the unit where the fire started, and that no other units appear to be affected. Residents of those other condominiums are being allowed to return home.

Firefighters temporarily closed one block of Chestnut Street in the area of the building while they worked to put out the fire.

Click here to view the map on your mobile device.