Grinch flicks cigarette on parade float, sets fire

A Go-Fund-Me has been set up to help raise funds for the group

HUNTSVILLE, AL. (CNN) – A float caught on fire as it was heading to the Huntsville Christmas parade.

A Facebook group called “lost and found pets of Huntsville/Madison” spent a thousand dollars building it. The founder of the group tells us it went up in flames after someone threw a cigarette out of their window while driving near the float.

The Who’s worked hard to salvage anything they could in a pinch.

The float was making its way to the parade. What happened wasn’t a charade.

Captain Frank McKenzie, of the Huntsville Fire Department said “A cigarette flicked on a float, caused a big fire, and it wasn’t a joke. The fire department came to put out the flames, and they could not find anyone to blame.”

Jeanine Jackson, the organizer said “The house we walked so hard on that we were so proud of went up in smoke.”

The Facebook group lost and found pets of Huntsville/Madison County was excited to let people know of their mission through the Huntsville Christmas parade. The group helps reunite lost pets with their owners, since its existence it’s connected five thousand and their furry friends in our area.

Jackson said “in order to get more members we decided last year to do the parade and it attracted so many people that we thought we’d do it again… And so we started back in august, building a float to try and get more attention and try and win the 300 dollars so we could spay and neuter pets.”

The Who’s were in it for the long haul. The Grinch couldn’t steal it all.

Jackson said “We pulled it together and everybody is going to work together and get what we can. And the people are still here, so that’s the good part.”

Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more.

A Go-Fund-Me has been set up to help raise funds for the group to spay and neuter pets.