Child taken to hospital after kitchen fire in Springfield

American Red Cross was called in to assist 5 residents

yale-street-fire-spfld-1

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield Firefighters were called to a multi-family house on Yale Street, late Thursday afternoon, to control a fire on the second floor.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News the call about the fire at 102/104 Yale Street came in to the department around 3:48 p.m. Thursday. Heavy smoke was reportedly showing from the roof of the house.

yale-street-fire-spfldWhen 22News arrived on Yale Street, there were multiple fire trucks blocking the street and firefighters were surrounding the area. Leger said the firefighters quickly put out the flames, and it was later determined that the fire started in the kitchen, on the stove, and then spread through the house.

Leger said the American Red Cross was called in to assist the five people, who live in the house, find somewhere else to stay Thursday night. He added that a 5-year-old was taken to the local hospital as a precaution.

Click Here if you’re unable to view the map above.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s