CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Have you ever wanted to make delicious, crusty artisan bread, but don’t have the pizza oven to do so? What if we told you, you don’t need one! Moe Shea with Red Riding Hood’s Bakery showed us how!
Baking Crusty Artisan Bread at Home
- Pizza stone
- Large roasting pan OR Dutch oven
- Spray bottle with water
- Pizza peel or baking sheet
- Sharp knife
- Your favorite bread dough
- Cooking spray (to coat Dutch oven)
- Sesame seeds or poppy seeds (Optional)
- Place pizza stone or Dutch oven in oven while cold then turn oven up to 450 degrees.
- When oven is up to temperature place cornmeal on stone or grease hot Dutch oven.
- Shape dough and place on pizza peel
- Just before putting dough in oven spray dough with water and sprinkle with seeds (Optional)
- Using a sharp knife slice top of dough
- Slide dough onto pizza stone or into Dutch oven
- Spray dough again and quickly cover with roasting pan or Dutch oven lid (This will create steam)
- Cook bread covered for 15min
- Remove cover and continue cooking an additional 15-20 min or until internal temperature of bread reaches 180 degrees (If you don’t have a thermometer remove bread when bottom of bread sounds hollow when tapped on).