SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield Police said they recovered three guns and several kinds of drugs during what they called a “not so routine” traffic stop Sunday night.
Springfield Police Sgt. John Delaney said the driver, 56-year-old Edgar Johnson of Springfield, was pulled over after making an illegal lane change near 33 Wilbraham Road. Officers said when they approached the vehicle, they found an open beer can on the front seat and empty nip bottles and a shotgun in the back seat.
Delaney said officers did a more thorough search of Johnson’s SUV and also found 3,000 bags of heroin marked, “No Days Off”, two fully-loaded handguns, marijuana, bags of cocaine, methadone pills and ammunition.
Johnson was arrested and is being charged with:
- Operating under the influence of alcohol and drugs
- Trafficking in heroin
- Possession of cocaine with intent to distribute
- Possession of methadone with intent to distribute
- Possession of marijuana with intent to distribute
- Felon in possession of shotgun
- Receiving stolen firearm (22 cal. stolen in Vermont in 2016)
- Possession of ammo
- Using a firearm while committing a felony
- Violation of a Drug-Free School Zone (Mason Square Head Start)
- Turn signal violation
- No seat belt
- Open container violation
He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Springfield District Court.