SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A gas leak on Liberty Street in Springfield Thursday night has left several families without heat.
Andrea Luppi from Columbia Gas told 22News crews have repaired the leak in the main gas pipe, but there are still families without heat.
Repairs are complete Friday night after a gas leak at 290 Liberty street. It started around 8 p.m. Thursday.
Three families were evacuated, and nearly 40 homes had their natural gas shut off, leaving many without heat.
Springfield Police Lt. Mark Rolland told 22News extreme levels of natural gas were found in 3 homes and a church.
We were scared because we don’t want to lose our place. That’s the house of the lord, the worship place and we were kind of worried about it,” said Rev. Maria Santos of Bethel Pentecostal Church.
It took crews 12 hours to find the leak, and then another 12 hours repair it.
Thirty nine homes and two commercial spaces lost natural gas. Andrea Luppi of Columbia Gas told 22News, that each home and commercial space was affected, crews will go inside and relight all gas fueled appliances.
Luppi blamed the gas leak on the city’s aging pipeline infrastructure. She said, “The company is in the middle of a 12-yr program to replace aging gas pipelines.”
That work is expected to be completed by 2023.
Andrea Luppi also told 22News, Columbia gas crews are going door to door lighting gas appliances back on for residents.