CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use THYME in cooking & cosmetics.
THYME Stuffing for poultry
- Bunch of fresh picked THYME sprigs, tied in a bunch with twine
- Package favorite stuffing mix
- 1/ drizzle olive oil
- 2-4 fresh cloves of garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups boiling stock (vegetable or chicken)
- poultry stuffing seasonings to taste
- Salt & pepper added to taste.
- Large mixing bowl
1. Tie up fresh thyme into a bunch. Rinse under running cold water (tying makes it easier to remove after cooking).
2. Put butter into pan & heat til just melted.
3.Add garlic & lightly sauté for less than 1 min (do not burn).
4. While this is heating, put stock into saucepan & add thyme bunch.& bring to a boil.
5. Heat stock on a slow boil for 10 minutes to diffuse the thyme flavor into stock
6.Put stuffing into bowl & add seasonings. .
7. Remove thyme from stock.
8.Pour boiling stock over dry stuffing mix.
9. Mix in melted butter/garlic mix.
10. Drizzle olive oil into a baking pan & spread stuffing in pan.
11. Cover with tin foil & bake for 30 min at 325 (if making turkey, add in after turkey is removed from oven to rest)
12. If you like crusty stuffing, take tin foil off after 15 min.
Chicken with 40 cloves of Garlic & Thyme
- 40 cloves of GARLIC
- White Buffalo Herbs’ DAILY DASH
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in)
- 6 scallions
- 10 sprigs fresh THYME
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 1.5 tsp salt & pepper
- Pre-heat Oven to 350 degrees
2. .Heat oil in wide, shallow oven proof Dutch Oven w/lid (that fits it all chicken in 1 layer)
3. Sear each piece of chicken over high heat, then put into a side bowl.
4.Slice scallions into Dutch Oven w/5 torn/ripped sprigs of thyme. Stir fry quickly in the pan.
5.Add 20 UNPEELED cloves of garlic
6.Place seared chicken pieces on top of garlic & scallions in the Dutch Oven.
7. Put remaining 20 UNPEELED cloves of garlic on top of chicken.
8. Add wine to any juices left in side bowl & swish.
9. Pour over the chicken.
10. Sprinkle all with a generous few shakes of White Buffalo HERBS “:DAILY DASH”
11. Add pepper & salt to taste. Put remaining sprigs of Thyme on top.
12. Cover with lid & bake at 350 for 1 ½ hours.
13. Serve with crusty bread & squeeze cloves of garlic onto bread for eating with the chicken.
Multi-purpose THYME “Tea”
- 1 tsp dried or 1 Tbsp fresh THYME leaves
- 1 cup boiling water
1 Put THYME in a cup.
2. Pour boiling water over (like making a cup of sage tea)
3. Steep 15 min
4. Strain & use:
b. for upset stomach
c. as a gargle for sore throats
d. as an herbal medicine, to be drunk as directed to help with coughs (expectorant) or colds.
Helps bring on sweating to rid the body of toxins.
To follow our series on Herbs ‘A to Z’ click here.