(WWLP) – Massachusetts State Police are offering driving tips for those who are hitting the road for the holidays.
As the holiday season approaches, State Police say there are a number actions drivers can take to help make their holiday travel safer.
Mass. State Police travel tips:
- Plan on needing extra time to get to your final destination.
- Have your car serviced before going on a lengthy trip.
- Plan regularly scheduled breaks when traveling long distances.
- Make sure all passengers wear their safety belt.
- Adjust your speed to road, weather and traffic conditions.
- Leave the proper amount of space between your car and the car in front of you; (One car length for every ten miles per hour).
- The Mass Pike, (I-90), Phase-I of the toll removal project is ahead of schedule. Drivers are advised to devote their full attention to driving through these work zones, as lanes of travel have been shifted.
- Be prepared should your car become disabled. Have the proper emergency equipment with you. For example: spare tire, lug wrench, jack, flashlight, etc.
- Don’t drink and drive. If you plan on celebrating with alcohol, plan on staying over or plan on having a designated driver.