CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – With just a few simple steps, you can take a head of cabbage and transform it into sauerkraut! Personal Chef Bill Collins from Chefbill.com showed us the process of making this potent yet delicious food at home!
- cabbage, shredded (remove outer leaves)
- 2-3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Large crock or glass container
- Dried beans
- Ziploc bag
- Combine cabbage and salt in a bowl. Let it sit 15-20 minutes
- Mix in the caraway seeds
- Place in the large, WELL-CLEANED crock or jar. Put a WELL-CLEANED lid into the jar, resting on the cabbage. Put a weight ( a WELL-CLEANED jar filled with water, a Ziploc bag filled with something beans, etc., on top of the inside lid)
- Cover the mouth of the big jar with cheesecloth, and secure with a rubber band
- Let it rest on a counter or in a cool dark place for a few days to a couple of weeks, or until it’s the flavor that you like.