Worker dies after exposure to cyanide; bag found in pocket

Photo Courtesy: MGNonline
Photo Courtesy: MGNonline

WATERBURY, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut electroplating company employee whose exposure to cyanide prompted the emergency decontamination of a hospital has died.

It’s unclear how 38-year-old Norbert Claro died Friday. Police tell the Waterbury Republican-American an autopsy and toxicology tests are pending.

Claro was an employee of American Electro Products in Waterbury. Authorities say the company uses cyanide in some of its processes.

Fire and emergency crews responded to the company Friday morning for a report of a man suffering heart problems. Claro was taken to Waterbury Hospital, where a plastic bag labeled “sodium cyanide” was found in his pocket. Powder was visible on his clothing.

Sections of the hospital were isolated. An environmental contractor oversaw clean up at the hospital and the emergency vehicles.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s