7 people sickened by fumes at Boston school

Evacuations from the school weren't necessary

BOSTON (AP) — Seven people including one child were taken to a hospital after a phone charger emitted fumes at a Boston school for children with special needs.

A spokesman for the fire department says a student’s phone charger overheated and started sparking at about 9:30 a.m. Monday at the Manville School.

A staff member took the device to a bathroom and doused it with water, and it emitted a vapor that made people feel sick and light-headed. Those affected are expected to be OK.

A hazardous materials team checked the air quality to ensure the school was safe, and evacuations were not necessary.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s