Main Street reopened in Amherst after gas leak was clamped

Contractor punctured gas line at a home, fire chief says

AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) – Berkshire Gas crews were called-in to the area of South East and Main Streets, Friday afternoon, after a residential contractor punctured a gas line at a home in Amherst.

Berkshire Gas spokesperson Chris Farrell told 22News that a contractor digging to install a porch hit a 5/8 inch plastic service line to a house sometime before 1:45 p.m. A Berkshire Gas crew was called in, and they shut off the gas at around 2:00 p.m.

Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson told 22News that Main Street was blocked between Shumway Street and South East Street. The street has since reopened. He said the gas leak was clamped.

Farrell said that no one had to be evacuated, however pedestrians were being kept away from the area.

Click here to view the map on your mobile device.