CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) It’s pie season and Tinky Weisblat, food writer at TinkyCooks.com, taught us how to make Key Lime Pie, and also Shrub. What is shrub, you ask? Watch to find out!
Key Largo Key-Lime Pie
This is the easiest pie in the world—and one of the most pleasing.
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Dessert
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time (minutes): 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup key-lime juice
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks (use the whites in another recipe; you won’t need them here)
- 1 8-inch pie shell with a graham-cracker crust
- homemade cranberry sauce (optional)
- whipped cream as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl whisk together the juice, condensed milk, and egg yolks until they are smooth. Pour this mixture into your pie shell, and place the pie in the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- The pie won’t necessarily set, but you don’t need it to!
- After removing the pie from the oven let it cool to room temperature; then cover it and place it in the freezer until a few minutes before you are ready to eat. Remove the pie from the freezer, adorn it with whipped cream (either all the way across the top or just around the edges, depending on how much additional fat you want to absorb!), and serve. A little cranberry sauce makes a nice north-south touch at Thanksgiving.
- If you have leftover pie, store it, covered, in the refrigerator or freezer.