Overheated pipe caused fire at fire extinguisher recharging company

Massachusetts Fire Technology Company building in West Springfield damaged

west-springfield-fire

WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A problem with the building’s heating system caused a fire at a West Springfield business that recharges fire extinguishers.

The cause of the fire at the Massachusetts Fire Technology Company was announced Friday by State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and West Springfield Fire Chief William Flaherty. According to their conclusions, a vent pipe from the building’s heating system overheated, igniting combustible materials nearby.

No one was hurt in Monday morning’s fire at the 57 York Street building. Investigators say the fire started in the rear storage room above the drop ceiling, which is directly above the gas heater.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s