CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Many of us will see the first snowflakes of the season today as light snow and sleet turns to rain through the day. That transition will happen fairly quickly in the lower Pioneer Valley where temperatures will stay several degrees above freezing this afternoon and tonight. The transition from snow/sleet to rain will be slower over the hills west of the Connecticut River, where temperatures will be only slightly above freezing this afternoon.
Flurries and light snow is starting to make it’s way to the ground after overcoming some dry air early this morning. Snow chances will continue to increase from southwest to northeast through midday as snow pushes into the area. Temperatures at many NWS observation sites continue to rise above freezing, suggesting that accumulation will occur faster on colder surfaces. The snow may cool the air back down closer to freezing as it falls this afternoon, enhancing accumulation over the hills west of the Connecticut River.
Here’s the rundown of what to expect today:
Snow/sleet arrival time:
- Berkshire County: Arriving Now
- Rest of Western Massachusetts: Near Midday
Wintry Mix Transitions to Rain:
- Berkshire County and hills (higher terrain) west of the Connecticut River: Not until early evening
- The Rest of Western Massachusetts including the Lower Pioneer Valley: During the Afternoon
- A light coating on grass is possible everywhere
- A coating-2″ in western Franklin, western Hampshire and western Hampden County and all of Berkshire County in the hills and higher elevations.
- Accumulations are especially likely in areas of elevation over 1000 feet
- 1-4″ in northeastern Berkshire County, far western Franklin County and far western Hampshire County
- Updated snowfall forecast MAP here.
- Rain could cause street flooding as we head into tonight and early Friday morning
- Rainfall amounts could exceed 1″
- An isolated thunderstorm is possible overnight
- Make sure to clean storm drains of clogged leaves
|– Local Forecast||– Severe WX Text Alerts|
|– Temperatures||– Severe WX Email Alerts|
|– Weather News||– WWLP 22News WX App|
|– Interactive Radar||– Live Area Webcams|