CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – A sample of Southern Italy that has been served as a main dish, vegetable side dish, or a base for serving meatballs and sausage, Michael Tesoro from Ooma Tesoro’s Marinara showed us how to make Minestra di cavolo e funghi, or Kale and Mushroom Sauté.
- 1 lb of fresh curly kale or lacinato kale (stripped from its stem)
- 1 lb of mushrooms (typically four varieties – cremini, bella, button, and porcini) (sliced and stems removed)
- 1 lb sweet onion (sliced)
- 1 bulb of garlic (8-12 cloves)
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of red crushed pepper.
- 26oz of premium marinara sauce
- Pour the EVOO into a sauce pan bring up to a good temperature under high heat and brown the garlic.
- Remove the garlic and mash the cloves with the back of a spoon.
- Add the onions to the pan until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they become soft and beginning to breakdown, then add the kale, turn the heat up high, add salt black pepper and red crushed pepper and cover until the kale becomes tender.
- Stir well every few minutes to blend the flavors together.
- Once the kale has been cooked down add a high-quality marinara sauce and simmer on low for 15-20 min.
- Ready to serve. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano.
- Add a meatball or two or crumble sweet Italian sausage on top.