SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Springfield Water and Sewer Commission issued a warning on Tuesday after receiving reports of people claiming to be water and sewer employees, and attempting to get into homes.
Below are a few tips from the Commission on how to protect you and your family:
- Do not allow anyone who claims to be a Commission employee into your home without checking their official water and sewer commission identification.
- Commission employees drive blue or white vehicles with official license plates, and the Commission seal is displayed on the vehicle.
- In most cases, Commission work is performed by appointment. Employees may visit a property unannounced at times, however, most of those contacts are due to a water or sewer emergency.
- You may contact customer service at 413-310-3501 to verify that an employee is scheduled to perform work at your property.
- Payments and other account transactions are only accepted by mail, on-line, or at designated payment locations. Commission employees never ask for cash payments, money transfers, or refunds while at a customer’s home.
- If you suspect that an individual is unlawfully posing as a Commission employee, do not allow them access to your property and contact the local police department.