Fire marshal: Fire that killed Plainfield girl was accident

Photo Courtesy: MGNonline
Photo Courtesy: MGNonline

PLAINFIELD, Conn. (AP) – Plainfield’s fire marshal says a fire in which a 6-year-old girl died and her mother was badly injured was an accident that may have been started by a malfunctioning kitchen appliance.

Fire Marshal Paul Yellen tells The Hartford Courant Thursday that the fire’s origins are being traced by an insurance provider and appliance manufacturer.

Isabella Patterson died in the Sept. 21 blaze. Her mother Jeannette Lawyea and Lawyea’s 18-month-old son, Myles, were pulled to safety through a bedroom window. Lawyea was released from the hospital Wednesday. Her mother says she’s still recovering from burns on her arms and back.

The family had moved into a home built by Habitat for Humanity in July.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s